The United Democratic Alliance has announced it will not field a candidate in the Eldas ward by-election.
In a statement on Wednesday, UDA secretary general Veronica Maina said the Eldas community had expressed interest in supporting a member of late MCA Ibrahim Abbas’ family.
“Following extensive consultation with the community of Eldas Ward, UDA wishes to announce that we shall not be fielding a candidate to contest for the vacant position of Member of County Assembly,” Maina said.
Former Eldas MCA Ibrahim Abbas died on July 4, after a short illness.
The Deputy President William Ruto-affiliated party said it stands with the late MCA’s family and will respect the wishes of the Eldas community.
The announcement comes a few days after UDA invited applications from interested aspirants in three upcoming MCA by-elections.
The by-elections were Eldas ward (Wajir), Kiagu ward (Meru), and Nguu/Masumba ward (Makueni).
The by-elections are scheduled for October 14, 2021.
Secretary General Maina said members had until August 4 to submit their applications to the party headquarters at Hustler center on Makindi road, Nairobi.
- DP Ruto meets Nyanza leaders, sells hustler narrative ahead of 2022
- Tough rules for political parties’ nominations
- Former Police IG Boinnet energises Tolgos’ succession
- 135 Ruto-allied MPs declare UDA new home
- Ruto: Criminal justice system being used to intimidate leaders
- UDA Opens Kitutu Chache North Constituency office